Three categories, including short story, flash fiction and poetry will be considered for the 2016 awards, which is also the maiden edition of the Ghana Writers Awards literary prizes.
The deadline for the submission of entries is on Monday, August 1, 2016.
Among the objectives of the awards is to encourage young people into the creative writing industry. It is also revive the Ghanaian creative writing arts.
Below is the guidelines for the 2016 Ghana Writers Awards.
GUIDELINES FOR THE 2016 GHANA WRITERS AWARDS
How to enter:
To participate in this contest, entrants are required to read all instructions and rules regarding this award. There are no fees associated with entry. In order to be eligible, writers must meet all the criteria outlined below.
(1) Any entry shall be e-mailed to email@example.com. The first page of any entry shall contain the following information: the category of work, the entrant’s name, e-mail address, phone number, and a computer word count of the work.
(2) By participating in the Ghana Writers Awards (GWA) contest, each entrant represents and warrants that:
(i) The submission is original to the entrant, and all right, title and interest (including but not limited to copyright) therein and thereto is exclusively owned and/or controlled by the entrant to the full extent necessary.
(ii) The submission does not contain any material that is libelous, defamatory, profane or obscene.
(iii) The submission does not contain any material that promotes, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
(iv) The submissions shall be deemed to be submitted by the authorised account holder of the e-mail address associated with the entry.
1. Published work is not eligible for the 2016 Ghana Writers Awards.
2. Submissions should be made by the writer to the official email provided firstname.lastname@example.org. However, those without emails may do so through a family member (spouse, mother, father, teacher or guardian).
3. Only a fictional work is eligible for the 2016 Ghana Writers Awards.
4. Only a story per writer will be considered in the short story and flash fiction categories. However, poets are required to send three different poems with each poem not more than 30 lines.
5. Published works in any form, including personal blogs, online, magazines, and newspapers are not eligible in the 2016 Ghana Writers Awards.
6. Apart from the specified works (poetry, short story, and flash fiction) any other literary genre is not eligible in the 2016 Ghana Writers Awards.
7. Any entry should be saved with the surname of writer plus the genre one is entering (eg Amankwah, Poetry or Amankwah, Flash Fiction or Amankwah, Short Story). The font type should be Times New Roman, and double spaced. Document should be saved in PDF format. All document should have page numbers.
8. The Flash Fiction is for only writers in Junior and Senior High Schools. Those who have completed either JHS or SHS and are waiting for their results are not part of this category.
9. All works which do not conform to the outlined guidelines will be rejected.
10. If you are not clear about any information regarding the eligibility process, please email us on email@example.com.
By Robert Nyarkoh