A Canadian father ended up becoming paralyzed after choking during a competitive eating contest to celebrate the Hindu festival of Diwali.

Samaljit (Sunny) Aulakh has been laid up in a hospital bed unable to speak or walk since November. He can barely move his head.

The 36-year-old father of one fell to the floor after he choked on an Indian sweet.

Now the family say they are considering legal action to pay for Mr Aulakh?s mounting medical bills.

Tragedy struck after the dad took his son to a Diwali celebration.

He got up on stage to participate in an eating contest involving gulab jamuns, soft doughy Indian sweets.

?They called him the winner, and once he stood up, I guess he was choking on the food, which caused him to pass out and have a stroke, and from the stroke he now has brain damage,? niece Inderjeet Daleh told CBC News.

His 10 year old son, Pawan, watched as the first ambulance arrived.

?After my dad ate, he stood up and I think he felt dizzy and he fell down.? I felt very scared and I started to cry,? Pawan said.

?I see him, he?s all bluish and he can?t breathe properly,? added wife Kamal Aulakh.

Aulakh?s family said a second ambulance with equipment to clear his trachea had to be called for help.

He eventually ended up in a coma for ten days.

The way things were: Sunny Aulakh was a fit and healthy father until the eating contest that rendered him helpless

Source: 247naijagossip

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.