A senior official of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) said on Wednesday that his government would not sit together with the authorities of South Korea adding that “there will be neither exchange nor cooperation in the future.”
“We have no plans of sitting together with the authorities of the south side who evoke only disgust and nasty feelings,” Jang Kum Chol, director of the United Front Department of the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea, said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). “That’s why we began removing means for contact between the north and the south,” he said.
Pyongyang cut off all communication lines with Seoul a week ago and blew up the joint liaison office building in Kaesong Industrial Zone near the border with South Korea on Tuesday in protest against the sending of leaflets criticizing the North’s leadership by defectors and other activists in the South.
The liaison office was established in September 2018, as part of the Panmunjom Declaration signed by the two sides during the first summit between top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in held on April 27, 2018.
Jang also said the South Korean authorities tried to shift the blame to Pyongyang, but “we are never afraid of whatever responsibility, as there are nothing to be implemented and no future for the north-south relations.” “Through the present crisis, we feel fortunate as we have confirmed once again the conclusion that the enemy is the enemy, after all,” he emphasized in the statement.
In a related development, Pyongyang on Wednesday “flatly” rejected a plea from South Korea to send special envoys to the North to ease the current tensions on the peninsula.
“Upon the urgent message sent by the south side in a hurry, Kim Yo Jong, first vice department director of the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea, made known the stand that we flatly reject the tactless and sinister proposal,” the KCNA said.
Earlier on Wednesday, the army of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) announced it would redeploy soldiers to the previously-demilitarized Kaesong Industrial Zone and the Mount Kumgang areas soon.
The army was making a clearer stand on more detailed military action plans outlined Tuesday so as to provide military guarantee for the measures taken by the party and the government, an unnamed spokesman for General Staff of the Korean People’s Army was quoted by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) as saying in a statement.
Under the detailed military action plans, to be approved by the Central Military Commission of the Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK), units of the regiment level and necessary firepower sub-units will be deployed in the Mount Kumgang tourist area and the Kaesong Industrial Zone, both are located at the areas bordering South Korea.
According to the military spokesman, civil police posts that had been withdrawn from the demilitarized zone under the inter-Korea agreement in the military field, signed in 2018, will be set up again to strengthen the guard over the front line.
Moreover, the artillery units deployed on the whole front line will reinforce those on combat duty and will resume all kinds of regular military exercises in the areas close to the boundary.
The spokesman also said the areas favorable for scattering leaflets against South Korea will open and the people’s drive for scattering leaflets will be guaranteed militarily.