Mauritania on Sunday reported 22 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases to 62.
According to Director of Public Health Dr. Sidi Ould Zahav, these cases resulted from contact with people carrying the virus.
“The best way to protect yourself against this virus is to stay confined at home, because every time you go out, you expose yourself to the danger of contamination by COVID-19,” he said during a press briefing on COVID-19.
He stressed that the city of Nouakchott is facing a new wave of infections.
Given this situation, the Mauritanian government on Sunday decided, after a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Ismail Ould Bedde Ould Cheikh Sidiya, to prohibit all people from entering and leaving Nouakchott.
Mauritania has seen a surge of confirmed cases in recent days with more than 50 new cases reported by the Ministry of Health.
On Friday, Interior Minister Mohamed Salem Ould Merzoug said the country would maintain the easing of certain measures initially taken as part of the national response to the COVID-19 pandemic. But people would be obliged to wear masks when entering the 15 main markets in Nouakchott where many residents of the capital buy food.
Last week, the government said the new curfew schedule would be from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. local time, instead of 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Mauritania has reported 62 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including four deaths and six recoveries, since March 13. Enditem