New Zealand-Australia travel to resume after Covid-19 scare

0
domestic air travel
Image by joyfull

New Zealand said Tuesday it would lift coronavirus restrictions on its capital city and restart the quarantine-free “travel bubble” with parts of Australia.

Coronavirus restrictions on Wellington will lift at the end of Tuesday, Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins announced at a media conference.

Restrictions were imposed on June 23, after health officials were alerted an Australian man had spent three days in Wellington and then tested positive after he returned to Sydney.

The case sparked the suspension of New Zealand’s free movement travel agreement with Australia, which had been operating since April.

However, no new cases of Covid-19 have been detected in the community in New Zealand since the Australian man’s visit.

From July 4, travellers from parts of Australia will be able to visit New Zealand again.

The bubble will re-open for arrivals from South Australia, ACT, Tasmania and Victoria as the spread of Covid was “contained at this point,” Hipkins said.
“We know how important the Trans-Tasman bubble is, particularly for families and for businesses.”

New Zealand, a country of 5 million, has recorded a total of 2,385 coronavirus infections with 26 deaths.

Meanwhile, Australia, a country of some 25 million people, has recorded 910 deaths and 30,528 cases since the pandemic began.

Send your news stories to newsghana101@gmail.com and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807 Follow News Ghana on Google News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here