Scene: One man died at the scene here in John Wilson Street, south London this afternoon while two were seriously injured

Scene: One man died at the scene here in John Wilson Street, south London this afternoon while two were seriously injured

Two people were today believed to have been shot by armed police after hacking a man to death with a machete in front of dozens of eyewitnesses.

Police were called this afternoon to reports of an assault in Woolwich, south London where witnesses claimed a man wearing a Help For Heroes t-shirt was attacked with knives.

The pair were then confronted by armed police and apparently shot by a female officer as they brandished weapons including a revolver.

This afternoon the area?s MP, Nick Raynsford, told BBC Radio 5 Live he believed the victim of the attack was a serving soldier.

The man is believed to have been hacked to death after a car crash. The scene of the attack is just 200 yards from Woolwich Barracks.
Mr Raynsford told the BBC: Mr Raynsford said: ?The circumstances causing the incident are not yet clear. It?s been suggested it was the product of a road traffic accident, but that?s pure speculation.

?We think a serving soldier was the victim. We don?t know the circumstances surrounding the incident.
?We do know a number of weapons have been seized. They include a gun, various knives, and a machete, apparently.

?The police clearly had to take action in order to try and arrest these individuals.?

The Independent Police Complaints Commission, which is called in whenever firearms officers shoot people, said it is investigating.

The Ministry of Defence said it was urgently looking at the reports that the incident involved a soldier but had no further comment.

Footage from a television news helicopter showed a large collection of weapons lying in the street in Woolwich following the incident.

A spokesman for the London Ambulance Service said one man had died at the scene.

He said: ?Our staff treated two others. Both men were taken to hospital, one of them is in a serious condition, the other is not.?

One witness, identified as James, said he and his partner saw two black men attack the young victim with knives, including a meat cleaver.

?They were hacking at this poor guy, literally,? he told LBC. ?They were hacking at him, chopping him, cutting him.?

Fighting back tears, James said the men treated their victim as a ?piece of meat? after he was dead.
?These two guys were crazed,? he told the radio station. ?They were just animals. They dragged him from the pavement and dumped his body in the middle of the road and left his body there.?

The incident occurred near the Royal Artillery Barracks, adjacent to Woolwich Common, the historical home of the Royal Artillery.

The barracks, also known as the Woolwich station, now houses a number of the King?s Troop Royal Horse Artillery and independent companies of the Grenadier and Coldstream Guards.

Woolwich Common remains a designated military training area. The shooting events at the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics were held at a temporary venue at the Barracks.

Luke Huseyin, 32, who lives in a block of flats on John Wilson Street, Woolwich, close to where the incident happened said he watched two men murder a man before being shot.
He said: ?I was at home and heard a big bang. I looked out of the window and saw a car had crashed.

?It was a blue Vauxhall. Then two black guys got out of the car dragging a white guy across the road towards the wall. One of the guys had a knife that looked about a foot long and a machete and the other bloke had a gun.

?They started slashing him up with the knife and hitting him in the stomach with the machete. I don?t think it took long before he was dead. There were people passing by who were screaming and running away. I?ve never seen anything like it.
?I?m still really shaken up. When he was dead, they dragged him out into the road and left him there.

?It was strange, they didn?t run off, they just stood there as if they were waiting for the police.

?It must?ve taken about 20 minutes for the police to arrive, I think it must?ve been because they were waiting for armed police.

?The police officers got out of the car and the two black men ran towards them with the gun.

?The police shot them. They fell to the ground. Then a helicopter landed. Think it must?ve been an air ambulance.

?The paramedics got out and I think they were working on the two men to try and keep them alive.


Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

Previous articleCount Pink Sheet Boxes In Open Court Or ? NDC Lawyer
Next article33 year old man undergoes a full facial transplant in Poland
Daily Guide is a Ghanaian Newspaper published by Western Publications Limited.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here