South Sudan on Wednesday said it was not responsible for the disappearance of two opposition figures in the Kenyan capital in 2017 after the recent revelation by the UN panel of experts blamed it for their abduction and probable killing.
Michael Makuei Lueth, minister of information, told reporters in Juba, that the government was not responsible for the disappearance of Dong Samuel Luak, a prominent South Sudanese lawyer and Aggrey Idro who worked as humanitarian officer of the main rebel group, the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army-in opposition (SPLM/A-IO) in Nairobi.
According to reports tabled in the UN Security Council on Tuesday, the UN experts on South Sudan and international NGOs have tasked Juba, to explain the duo’s whereabouts amid fears that they were killed on January 30, 2017 after being held in detention in Juba following their disappearance in Nairobi in January 2017.
“These people were apprehended in Nairobi and they have not been brought to us. The only person who was apprehended and brought to us was James Gatdet Dak who was later on released,” said Lueth.
Dak was former spokesman of SPLM/A-IO leader Riek Machar who was set free last year.
“How is it that we are supposed to respond to something that did not take place in our country. They should first ask Kenya, where these two people were apprehended,” added Lueth.
South Sudan is now implementing a fragile peace deal signed in September 2018 in Ethiopia to end more than five years of conflict that has killed tens of thousands and displaced over 2 million people internally and externally since its outbreak in December 2013.