Top seed of Ghana, Derek Abrefa was the only Ghanaian to make it into the top 8 to qualify Ghana in the Singles event at the World Table Tennis Championship in 2023.
He placed seventh after a tough battle at the ITTF West Africa Championship held in Lagos, Nigeria.
Here is the list of the top 8 performers
1. Mati Taiwo, Nigeria, 75 points
2. Solanke Azeez, Nigeria, 55 points
3. Akanbi Rilwan, Nigeria, 25 points
4. Fanny Kokou Dodji, Togo, 25 points
5. Omeh Amadi, Nigeria, 15 points
6. Etim Orok, Nigeria, 15 points
7. Abrefa Derek, Ghana, 15 points
8. Oba Oba Kizito, CIV, 15 points
Emmanuel Commey placed 9th , Emmanuel Asante also placed 11th , while young Emmanuel Ofori was 13th. They all had 5 points.
Joe Benard Sam was the other Ghanaian at the championship with no point, he placed 19th out of 28 top players at the event, however he is in the team that has qualified to the World Championship in South Africa.
The male team of Ghana won bronze, while the female took silver after losing to Nigeria.