Covid

A total of 33 travelers arrested for attempting unlawful entry and exit through unapproved routes along Ghana-Togo border are in the custody of Aflao Sector Command of the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) awaiting quarantine.

Eighteen of them were arrested at Tokor in the Ketu South Municipality, while the rest were apprehended at Sogakope in the South Tongu District.

Mr Noah Ahomka Yeboah, Deputy Sector Commander, Aflao GIS told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that “around 1430hours on Monday, March 30, a combined team from GIS and Ghana Police Service (GPS) apprehended 14 Nigerians and one Malian between the ages of 16-35 at Tokor GPS Checkpoint for unlawful entry.

“Again, our officers (GIS) upon a tip-off moved to arrest three Nigerians between 20-25 years at about 1515hours same day for attempting to leave Ghana through the ‘Beats’ (unapproved routes),” he added.

Mr Yeboah said the other 15 were picked at GIS Checkpoint at Sogakope and brought to the Aflao Command after they managed to beat security to enter the country along the Kpoglu Border.

As at the time the GNA was leaving the Aflao Border around 1830hours on Monday, the suspects who had undergone port health screening processes were still detained at the arrival hall of the Aflao GIS waiting for further directives from the Ketu South Municipal Health Directorate for quarantine.

Mr Joseph Kwami Degley, the Municipal Director of Health Services said they were overwhelmed by the numbers as the Municipal Assembly was yet to find additional designated facility to serve as quarantine centre.

The Assembly last week, quarantined two Nigerians and 14 Ghanaian returnees from countries with high numbers of COVID-19 cases, who with the help of commercial motor riders, entered the country through unapproved routes.

Mr Elliot Edem Agbenorwu, the Municipal Chief Executive for Ketu South said since the Assembly was still looking around to find a dedicated facility as a quarantine centre, the recalcitrant travelers would have to be handed over to the GIS Headquarters to face Ghana’s laws for their illegality to deter others.

Mr Frederick Baah Duodu, GIS Sector Commander however told GNA on Tuesday that the suspects were still in their custody saying, sending them to the National Headquarters was not an option.

He said the Command would keep in touch with the Assembly and all key stakeholders for additional facilities and called on owners of hotel/lodges in the area as their duty to the nation, “make their facilities available in these trying moments.”

Ghana has closed all her borders (air, sea and land) from midnight of Sunday, March 22, 2020 to passengers as directed by the President to prevent spread of COVID-19.

Advertisements

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 234-972-832 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.