The Eritrean government on Saturday condemned the latest U.S. sanctions that targeted Eritrean entities and individuals as “illicit and immoral.”
“The U.S. Administration has declared seemingly new, unwarranted sanctions on Eritrea as a continuation of its misguided and hostile policy,” the Eritrean Ministry of Information said in a statement.
On Friday, the U.S. Department of the Treasury disclosed sanctions against the Eritrean Defense Force and the People’s Front for Democracy and Justice, as well as other Eritrean individuals and entities, in response to “growing humanitarian and human rights crisis and expanding military conflict in Ethiopia.”
The U.S. department said the sanction targets “Eritrean actors that have contributed to the crisis and conflict, which have undermined the stability and integrity of the Ethiopian state.”
The Eritrean government said the unilateral sanction, that shifts blame to and scapegoats Eritrea on the basis of spurious allegations, is in contravention of international law, and constitutes a flagrant breach of the sovereignty, independence and liberation of peoples and nations.
The sanction’s “transparent aim is to obstruct enduring solutions that promote sustainable stability in the Horn of Africa in general and Ethiopia in particular and to stoke and perpetuate a vicious cycle of chaos that it will then manage,” it said.
Noting the move a “cynical act” rationalized through the fabrication of baseless allegations amplified incessantly by pliable media outlets, it stressed that the people and government of Eritrea “deplore, in letter and spirit, the illicit and unilateral sanctions.”
It called on “all peace and justice loving, sovereign and independent peoples and forces, to lend their support to Eritrea.”
The Ethiopian government had previously reiterated that Eritrea has already evacuated its military forces from Ethiopia at the end of June 2021. Enditem