President John Mahama has appointed Major General Obed Boamah Akwa as the new chief of Army Staff of the Ghana Armed Forces.
His appointment takes immediate effect, a statement from the Flagstaff House noted Friday.
Major General Obed Boamah Akwa was until his appointment the Commandant of the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre.
The President has also, on the recommendations of the Ghana Armed Forces Council, also approved the promotion of the following officers:
1. Brigadier General W. A. Ayamdo to the rank of Major General
2. Brigadier General S. K. Adeti to the rank of Major General
3. Commodore S. Amoama to the rank of Rear Admiral
4. Air Commodore G. S. Evans to the rank of Air Vice Marshal
He has also endorsed the following appointments in the Ghana Armed Forces:
1. Major General W. A. Ayamdo- Commandant of the Military Academy and Training School
2. Air Vice Marshal G. S. Evans- Commandant of the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre
3. Rear Admiral S. Amoama- Commandant of the Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College
The following have also been appointed General Officers Commanding:
1. Brigadier General S. B. Alloh- Northern Command
2. Brigadier General C. B. Alhassan- Central Command
3. Brigadier General F. Ofori- Commander, Special Services Bridage
The President and Commander-in-Chief has also approved the promotion of a number of other officers to the next rank.