Local Government Hallmark
Local Government Hallmark

Nana Kwesi Agyekum Dwamena, the Head of the Civil Service, on Friday urged newly recruited staffs of the Local Government Services to discharge their duty with professionalism to ensure effective service delivery.

He said Local Government staffs were pivotal in the socio-economic development at the local levels by serving as a channel between the people and the Government.

Nana Dwamena said this at ceremony in Accra on Friday to transfer 790 staff of the Land Use and Spatial Planning Committee (LUSPA), formerly Town and Country Planning Department, at the sub-national level from the Civil Service to the Local Government Service (LGS).

“I know that the LGS play significant role in the implementation of policies and programmes of government at the local levels. This, therefore, requires that the right calibre of staff to do the work are available so that the mandate of the Service can be properly executed,” he said.

Nana Dwamena said 81 per cent of the recruits would operate from the offices of the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) whilst the other 19 per cent would be sent to the office of the Regional Co-ordinating Councils (RCCs).

Mr Dwamena called on the staff to continue working tirelessly as they had done for their former agency.

Dr Nana Ato Arthur, the Head of the Local Government Service, said the sustainability and resilience of MMDAs depended on the integration of development policies and spatial dimension in the design of national, regional and district level interventions with all stakeholders.

In order to achieve the aforementioned goal, the agency was making sure that Performance contracts for RCCs and MMDAs would contain the indicators that established and integrated the Physical Planning Department and all other departments.

“There will be continuous sensitization on the Inter-Service and Sectoral Collaboration and Cooperation System (ISCCS) and the monitoring of the integration of the departments,” he said.

Dr Arthur stated that the Local Governance Act, 2016 (Act 936) had elevated the Human Resource Units of the Service to a Departmental status to give it more power to operate.

He, therefore, called on all RCCs and MMDAs to take note and act accordingly adding that administrative instructions with detailed modalities would follow soon.

“Progress is also being made on the decentralisation of the Health and Education Sectors and the migration of Local Government Inspectors into the Internal Audit Class of the Service as provided in the Local Governance Act,” he stated.

Welcoming the new recruits, Dr Arthur said his outfit was committed to providing “first class working conditions” for them to serve as motivation in ensuring effective service delivery.

Mr Lawrence Dakurah, the Chief Executive Officer of the LUSPA, on his part, said he was pleased by the work done by the Physical Planning Department for equipping the recruits with the expertise to aid them deliver on their mandate, despite the numerous challenges.

He urged the Local Government Service to put in conscious efforts to address those challenges.

“The Physical Planning Department has a crucial role in the development of this nation, and I urge all public service organisations and the private sector to support it to enhance its performance.”


Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 234-972-832 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.