Teachers in Ghana vow to punish NPP in 2024

0
Teacher

Pre-tertiary public sector teachers across the country have vowed to punish the New Patriotic Party (NPP) during the next general election in 2024.

According to the teachers, the NPP government since assuming power has put in place systematic measures that have worsened their living conditions as well as looked down upon them in spite of their contributions towards the human resource development of the country.

The teachers say they are dissatisfied with the manner the government and the Ghana Education Service (GES) have connived to unduly effect outrageous deductions on the November salaries of teachers that are to be paid this week.

The government last year introduced the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) allowance of GH₵ 1,200 and GH₵ 800 for professional and non-professional teachers respectively within the GES for them to develop themselves regarding their profession.

However, under the “one teacher one laptop” policy, an amount of GH₵ 509.55 has been deducted from the November salaries of public sector teachers being 30% of the cost to be borne by teachers while the government pays the remaining 70% of the cost.

The teachers argue that the government did not consult them on the laptops for them to reach a decision on the brand and cost but unilaterally took the decision and imposed it on them which according to them raises doubt in their minds about the actual cost of the laptops.

The teachers also indicated that they are yet to receive the laptops and see no need why the government in rushing to effect the deductions from their salaries.

As if that was not enough, an amount of GH₵ 100 is also being deducted from the over 250,000 public sector teachers across the country as a teacher licensing fee.

According to the teachers, the same amount of money was deducted from their salaries in November 2020, and cannot understand why the government is deducting the same amount from them again.

Some teachers who spoke to News Ghana on the basis of anonymity criticized the government for giving them something with the right hand and taking virtually everything with the left hand.

“Some of us voted for the NPP in the 2016 general election because we believed Nana Akufo-Addo was coming to improve the living conditions of teachers which had been neglected by successive governments. Five years into their administration, the teacher is worse-off today and we are waiting for the next election to show them that ultimate power resides in us,” a teacher within the Tema Metropolis told News Ghana.

Another aggrieved teacher said Ghanaian students under the Free Senior High School (SHS) program are given lots of freebies by the government while teachers who are at the center stage of the implementation have been neglected.

“This government has not treated teachers fairly at all. Look, under the free SHS program, the government supplies two sets of uniforms to each student across the country, textbooks, exercise books, free meals, practical materials for vocational and technical students as well as no school fees.

On the other hand, this government in 2020 increased our salaries by 4% and 7% for next year while the President increased his salary and that of his appointees by over 65%. This government has impoverished teachers and we have already advised ourselves,” another teacher said.

Meanwhile, a statement signed by Kwasi Kwaning-Bosompem, Acting Controller and Accountant-General explained that they only process the government of Ghana payroll on behalf of the Ministries, Departments, Agencies (MDAs), and the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) and that third-party deductions are agreements between the institutions and their employees/clients.

The Acting Controller and Accountant General further stated that the GES officially wrote to his outfit requesting for the deductions of the said amounts from the salaries of its employees. Enditem

Send your news stories to newsghana101@gmail.com and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807 Follow News Ghana on Google News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here