Thermometer gun at Ho SSNIT flats malfunctions

Voter Registration

The gun thermometer deployed at the Ho SSNIT Flats registration centre malfunctioned three days into the registration exercise, causing that segment of health protocol to be abandoned.

Other aspects of health protocols such as the washing of hands, use of sanitizers and wearing of masks were however upheld.

Madam Martha Lagble, Assemblywoman for the area, told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that their complaints to the Electoral Commission (EC) for replacement remained unheeded to.

The malfunctioned thermometer gun serves two centres as it is strategically positioned to screen registrants trouping in to register.

“The gun thermometer has been off for three days now and it’s like the EC is not ready to conduct the exercise,” she said.

“We are not in normal times. All logistics must be ready and everything must be organized. We are only washing hands, no temperature checks. If someone has the virus, how do we know?”, the Assemblywoman stated.

Health assistants confirmed to the GNA that throughout the last three days of the exercise, health workers had no way of determining body temperatures, and could only enforce hand washing, masking and social distancing.

Mrs Lagble also said communication on upcoming centres was not effective and caused people from yet to be served areas massing up at the centres.

The Assemblywoman, however, commended the “hardworking registration officials,” and said the exercise was peaceful.

Nana Oduro, Ho Municipal Electoral Officer said the office’s attention was brought to the malfunctioned thermometer and the Commission is working to address the challenge.

Mr Wisdom Nudo, New Patriotic Party area coordinator for the Loboli Electoral Area, told GNA the exercise was “fantastic”, but also expressed concern over the thermometer.

“All temperatures must be checked before getting seated”, he said, calling hope that the EC would address the challenge going forward.

One woman, who was among the last applicants before the exercise ended at the centre, and who had spent three hours in the queue, told GNA the process was not “fast enough.”

Send your news stories to Follow News Ghana on Google News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here