Toll in latest Egyptian train derailment rises to 23

0

The death toll in a weekend train derailment near Cairo has reached 23, according to Egyptian prosecutors.

Earlier, the Health Ministry had said 11 people were dead and 98 others injured in Sunday’s mishap in the city of Qalyubia, which lies north of Cairo.

But a statement from the Egyptian public prosecution late on Tuesday said that 23 people were killed and 139 others injured in the accident, the latest in a series of train crashes in the country.

Egypt’s chief prosecutor also ordered 23 people remanded in connection to the accident, including the train driver and assistant, the statement said.

Four carriages in the train, which was heading from Cairo to the Nile Delta province of Mansoura, derailed, the state rail authority said. The cause of the tragedy is not yet clear.

On Tuesday, the head of Egypt’s railway authority was replaced as part of a major shake-up in senior positions in the service.

Egypt has seen several railway tragedies in recent years.

Last week, 15 people were injured after another train derailed in the northern province of Minya al-Qamh.

On March 26, two passenger trains collided in southern Egypt, killing at least 19 people.

In February 2019, an unmanned locomotive rammed into a platform at Cairo’s train station, causing a fire that claimed 31 lives.

Egypt’s worst rail disaster took place in 2002, when a passenger train caught fire, killing more than 360 people.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807
Follow News Ghana on Google News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here